Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy Holi!



Maybe you have heard of India's festival of color or seen videos of people pelting each other with pigment until everyone is a walking rainbow. Well, the day for that, called Holi was Thursday and many in our crew were quite looking forward to an afternoon frolic of colorful fun. 

Well, it turned out that because of situations beyond control (apparently) the afternoon of fun was not possible, but that didn't stop a few determined individuals from jumping inattentive or willing crew members and giving them a dash of color.

I guess I fell into the "willing" category, although I would rather they had not been quite so liberal with the color on my nose. I also wish they had told me that normally people wash some of it off directly because otherwise it takes days to disappear. I still have a pink nose two days later! My shower stall looks like The Cat in the Hat has made a visit.

There was some more colorful fun after work but I missed that (as I was in meetings and having a hard enough time being taken seriously with my bright pink face without blue and green as well) and there were some great pictures from Hyderabad City of the Mayor and Governor covered in colors. I asked why this practice and why this holiday and what did it mean and I was told that the day before Holi is the day where lust and greed were purged by the death of a particular demon and that the whole color thing just seems like a great idea and no-one remembers why.

One thing is sure, when you have a face like this, everyone is quick to smile and wish you "Happy Holi!"


No comments:

Post a Comment